In today’s industrial landscape, the efficient operation of machinery is paramount. Downtime, whether due to under-speed, over-speed, or zero-speed conditions on rotating equipment, can be both costly and disruptive. However, there are solutions, like Speed Monitors, which provide accurate sensing and protection for your valuable machinery. To serve our customers and protect their equipment, Wm. Neundorfer & Co. partners with BulkPro Systems to provide speed monitors. In this article we will explore the features and benefits of the BulkPro speed monitors, and how they can help increase production, reduce downtime, and ensure the smooth operation of your plant.
Precise Speed Monitoring
The BulkPro Speed Monitors are designed to monitor speed conditions on rotating shafts, pulleys, and other rotating equipment. Whether you need to ensure that equipment operates within specified speed parameters or you want to receive alerts in case of deviations, this system has you covered. Its microprocessor-based control features provide a range of customizable options to meet the specific needs of your application including:
- Start-up Delay: With a start-up delay ranging from 1 to 99 seconds, you can configure the system to account for equipment warm-up periods.
- Alarm Set-Points: Set alarm thresholds anywhere from 0% to 160% of the programmed speed to trigger alerts when needed.
- Alarm Delay: Customize alarm delay times from 0 to 99 seconds upon the receipt of pulses or power-on.
- Reset Mode: Choose between power-on or remote relay input for resetting the system.
- Begin Start-up Delay: Initiate start-up delay from the moment you receive pulses or power-on.
- Alarm Reset: Reset alarms manually or automatically as per your preference.
- 4-20mA Inputs: The system includes two 4-20mA inputs proportional to speed as a standard feature.
- Inputs: It supports NPN inputs, accommodating speeds of up to 3KHz.
Versatile Speed Monitoring
The BulkPro speed monitors are versatile in their application. They can reliably monitor speed conditions from most rotating pieces of equipment in your plant. This adaptability is achieved through direct coupled or proximity-type speed pickups that receive speed pulses from the equipment being monitored. These speed pickups are seamlessly integrated into the microprocessor-based control of the speed monitor, ensuring continuous monitoring based on user-defined parameters.
One standout feature of this speed monitor is its robust housing. Encased in a sturdy IP67 enclosure, the system can be mounted at considerable distances—often exceeding 1000 feet—from the speed pickups. This design not only ensures protection but also eliminates the need for additional programming at the PLC or DCS system.
Simple Configuration, Reliable Alarms
Configuring BulkPro speed monitors is straightforward. Once the equipment reaches its normal operating speed, you can program the control with a single button press. The alarm setpoint can then be programmed in at 1% increments of this reference speed. Should the speed fall below or exceed this setpoint, the alarm relay is triggered. This can lead to the automatic shutdown of equipment or notification of an alarm condition through a relay contact interface.
Wm. Neundorfer & Co has installed speed monitors across various industries and equipment types. Some typical use cases include monitoring:
- Bucket Elevator Shafts
- Rotary Valve Shafts
- Screw Conveyor Shafts
- Conveyor Belt Pulleys
- Belt Feeders
- Drag Chain Conveyors
- Gear Teeth
For those interested in the technical details, the Model PL70-115 Speed Monitor comes with the following specifications:
- Enclosure: Polycarbonate, IP-67 rated for durability.
- Input Voltage: Accepts input voltage ranging from 85 to 250 VAC, 50/60 Hz, single-phase.
- Outputs: Includes one SPDT 230 VAC / 5A relay (non-inductive, NC/NO selectable), with the option to add an additional SPDT relay. It also features two 0-20mA/4-20mA output options.
- Sensor Inputs: NPN or PNP inputs, supporting speeds of up to 3KHz.
- Conduit Holes: Two 3/4”-14 NPT holes for easy installation.
- Temperature Rating: Electronics operate between -4°F to 158°F (-20°C to 70°C), while standard metal sensors can withstand temperatures from -13°F to 158°F (-25°C to 70°C).
A magnetically coupled model is also available the BPMS-1, 2, 4, & 12 features the following specifications:
- Easy Installation: “Click” in place installation
- “Break-free” design: Allows sensor to detach from the shaft if a large object strikes it
- Enclosure Rating: NEMA-4, 4X, 6, 6P, 12 and 13 (IP-67)
- Retrofit: Can be retrofitted with other proximity switches such as PNP or NPN outputs
- High Visibility: High visible LED to confirm proper installation and operation
- Multiple pulse ranges: 1, 2, 4, 12 pulse units
- Strong Hold: 140lb holding force rare earth magnet
In an industrial setting, ensuring the reliable and efficient operation of machinery is paramount. Speed monitors offer a comprehensive solution for monitoring speed conditions in rotating equipment, protecting assets, and preventing costly downtime. With its user-friendly configuration and robust design, speed monitors are a valuable addition to many industrial applications, providing vital information and peace of mind for operators and maintenance personnel alike.